In the wake of certain school bus shooting events that have taken place early this year, we at Be Driven understand that it is very natural for schools as well as parents to be extremely concerned about the safety of the students.
Safety is an aspect that we have always focused on. And now, more than ever, we are making sure that our drivers are trained to remain calm and collected in an emergency.
Security Codes For Private Transportation For Schools
Here are some basic security codes or processes that can be followed by private school busing operators:
- 1. It Is Important To Empower Bus Drivers
They should be trained to pay more attention to “JDLRs” (Just Don’t Look Right) and notify the relevant authorities. Some examples of JDLRs are:
- A book bag or backpack left behind on the bus.
- A student on the bus who is dressed very differently for no specific reason or occasion
- A vehicle following the school bus for no apparent reason
Some precautionary measures to take include:
- When spotting suspicious or behavior or items the bus driver should immediately call 911.
- No one should touch an unclaimed item or use a cell phone or radio within 300 feet of it.
When reporting, the bus driver would need to include the physical appearance, location, unusual characteristics and gender of the person involved.
- 2. It’s Necessary To Involve Students And Reassure Them
- Private school busing drivers should always have safety procedures in place for all hazards. They need to tell students they are as safe as possible right now.
- The TSA also recommends including students in the safety program. It's essential for the kids to know that if they notice something, they need to bring it to the attention of the driver as that can help keep everyone safe.
- If an intruder happens to board the bus, the driver must be calm and demonstrate a willingness to actually listen.
- They need to focus on the students’ safety before responding.
- In a crisis or challenging situation, the bus drivers need to control their fear and be in control.
These are just some of the things we train our drivers on. This helps makes private transportation for schools services safer for students.
For information on our private school busing services, fill in this contact us form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible. If you require an immediate response, give us a call at 1800 233 7483. We’ll be happy to hear from you and answer any questions you might have.
Copyright © BeDriven