Today’s parents are acutely aware that their children need to be protected. In Boston, kids need to travel several miles to get to their school. Naturally, parents are very careful about securing safe transport for their children. There are many who would rather just drive their kids to school, unwilling to take the risk.
We at Be Driven, have come to realize that most parents are unaware of the stringent rules in place for the protection of their children. Here’s a brief introduction of youth transportation rules put in place by the Massachusetts State government.
What are 7D Vehicles?
By law, companies like ours need to follow the processes and adhere to the stipulations regulated in Section 7D of Chapter 90 of the General Laws. The regulation deals with school pupils who’re transported by vehicles that aren’t school buses on a fixed route during the school year. These vehicles are usually station wagons or vans and they shouldn’t carry more than 8 passengers at a time.
The pupil can be any student enrolled in a school at any grade level from Kindergarten to 12th. They can also be children enrolled in daycare and aftercare, children in special needs programs, or participants of summer or day camps. The students need to travel on a fixed, predetermined route when using youth transportation. This can include the following:
- Home to School and vice versa
- School to School
- From home to school and then to after-school activity
- From school to after school daycare
- Pick-up and drop-off at established bus stops.
Not everyone can get a 7D driver’s license. The applicant who wishes to operate a 7D vehicle must meet the follow criteria:
- They should be 21 years of age
- They should have a driver’s license for 3 continuous years before the application
- They should clear the Criminal Offender Record Information check and the Sex Offender Registry Information check
- They should have a good driving record and character
- They need to pass an eye exam, a physical test, and a written knowledge test.
The vehicles will also be inspected twice in a year for safety. At Be Driven, all our youth transportation vehicles and drivers are certified. You can definitely contact us if you want to know more. Just fill in this contact us form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible. If you require an immediate response, give us a call at 1 800 233 7483.